[geocentrism] Just a reminder of why we are here

  • From: Neville Jones <njones@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 13:05:19 -0800

I decided to go back and read some of the postings that I had not opened and I came across this one below.

Philip said that John Lienhard, of the University of Houston, had 'debunked' the hollow earth idea, so I went to the link to eagerly read what Lienhard had to say. Unfortunately, it was not worth the mouse click. Having ignored, almost certainly through ignorance, most of the hollow earth models and ideas, he confines his piece to only one, which he then dismisses out of hand. This is neither reason, nor research, but entertainment for the mentally challenged.

I also found a recent non-forum e-mail where Robert Bennett refers to members of 'geocentrism' as "GC forum kooks." He, too, references an unscholarly diatribe in support of his assertion that anyone who disbelieves NASA landed men on the Moon is a 'conspiracy nut.'

Dr. Bennett never managed to show that anyone here was a 'kook' during his time on this forum, but at least he did contribute something, albeit with a distinct hostility of any form of questioning or criticism of his own position. This is the sort of religiously-biased belief system that we often (justifiably) throw at evolutionists.

So this is just a little reminder of why we are gathered here on this forum. It is to reason and to debate the issues that matter to us. If our ideas and beliefs are already cast in stone then we are wasting our time and the time of others.

We are not here to engage in name-calling of our present or former members, nor to throw in rubbish articles that we maybe have not even read ourselves, but to identify a particular issue and to debate it with reason, knowledge and understanding.

The big advantage of a forum like this lies in the fact that we can explore ideas and beliefs and reason on them for ourselves, in order to reach a personal conclusion, if not a mutual consensus.