[geocentrism] Re: Biblical Calendar amendments

  • From: "Carl Felland" <cfelland@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 10:18:59 -0500

Hi Neville,

Here's the other side...or one other side...

Good morning Carl,

David has yet to produce the historical references that he refers to.  And even
if he did, I would be skeptical for the following reasons.  In no particular
order...

1.  Babylon observed the moon from crescent to crescent (after whatever it was
that Velikovsky is writing about).

2.  Egypt (I am told) observed the moon from cresent to crescent (ditto
regarding Velikovsky).

[Note:  I believe YHWH permitted or caused this cosmic calmamity to confuse the
calendars no different than He confused the languages at the tower Babal.  If
everyone was scrambling to make their calendars work after this calamity and
these pagan nations concluded that their months would begin with the visible
crescent, that is fine with me.  I believe YHWH foreknew that Israel alone
would continue to keep His calendar to the best of their ability [probably the
exact reason for this calamity] and/or instructed through the prophets if they
got it wrong.  YHWH led Israel OUT of Babylon and Egypt.

3.  David and Jonathan, in II Samuel 20, could not have made their "informed"
statement if Israel was using a visible crescent.  They did not know, they had
not seen it yet.

4.  In order to force a visible crescent upon Scipture, pro-crescent folks have
only but to say that David and Jonathan were at the tail end of a 3.5 dark
period (presuming that the moon can be dark for 1.5 to 3.5 days--which I have
NEVER seen in practice) meaning that the new moon HAD to be the next day.  This
conclusion suffers for want of evidence.  I sincerely believe that YHWH does
not communicate with us using extremes.  Therefore I believe David and Jonathan
could have made this statememt any and every month.  Which is indeed the case
if a nation/person counts new moon from the day after conjunction.

5.  Counting from the visible crescent is walking by sight, not by faith.

6.  Considering their many forays into paganism, I have no doubt that Israel
observed the crescent moon and that this evidence made it into the historical
record, discounting the fact that they were not instructed to calculate their
calendar in this manner.

7.  The historical record is not YHWH's inspired Word.  Regardless of what the
historical record says, if it is contrary to the evidence in Scripture, it is
suspect.  It may be an actual historical fact, but that does not make it the
Truth.

8.  And this is probably the most compelling--counting from the visible
crescent will cause one to observe the Sabbaths 1-2 (to 3.5?) days late for the
phases of the moon in most months.  The historical record does say, in truth,
that Israel observed the Sabbath by the moons phases, something they could not
do very well if counting from a visible crescent.

While David may be an excellent student and a sincere man, if he (or anyone)
make the historical evidence their proof texts, their conclusions are
approximately worth the paper they are written on.

YHWH make His face shine upon you Carl.

Be blessed,

Troy