[GeoStL] Re: recalibrating the 60cs

  • From: "J.A. Terranson" <measl@xxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:44:10 -0600 (CST)

-

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, Eric & Dayna East wrote:

> I'm getting close to raising enough money to purchase one but now i'm
> wondering if I should reconsider. Having to recal before every cache
> seems a bit extreme.  Are there any other quirks I should know about?
> I'd like to hear what those of you who use it think of it overall. What
> are the pluses and minuses in your opinions?

Overall, I am *very* happy with the 60.  I was using the 2000XL, and the
difference is beyond a simple list of pros and cons: it's a whole
different *class*.

In hindsight, I purchased the 60CS for the following short list (in order
of importance):

(1) "Geocaching Mode" built in
(2) I wanted an onboard compass and altimiter
(3) Position of the controls (I liked them being down by my thumbs)
(4) Battery Life (you really *can* get 20 hours continuous use!  I've done
it more than once!
(5) It had the most memory of any Garmin in the price class (although I
was queasy at how low this was, and I *really* wanted a slot for an
external upgrade).

Now that I've had and used it for a few months...

(1) The "Geocaching mode" is useless.  It's really just an extra sorting
bin to throw your waypoints into.  And since the 60CS can "tag" each and
every waypoint with one of serveral dozen "Waypoint Types", having a
separate bin to store them in is not just a waste - it's become an
annoyance! (Was that in bin #1 or bin #2???)

(2) I'm VERY happy with the builtins.  Even with having to do the geodance
on every cache!  In fact, the need for the dance is a byproduct of how
accurate the auto-correcting declination works.  If you do the recal
religiously (as we now do), you will *often* arrive at your destination
("0" ft), look down, and see the bark covering the cache!  It's incredible
how accurate this device is!

(3) The controls aren't just where I want them, they're thought out too!
Fast and intuitive to learn.

(4) Memory actually sucks: you'll get around it easily enough, but Garmin
*needs* to fix this - it's the one thing they did actually *wrong* on this
unit.

(5) The direction seeking algorithm needs work.  I have had it tell me to
make U-Turns on interstate highways more than once.  Also, it seems to be
especially fond of making left turns into oncoming traffic.  No, I'm not
kidding.  Use "Follow Roads" with caution ;-)

Overall, I am very happy with this unit, and I would by it again.

HTH,

//measl

--
Yours,

J.A. Terranson
sysadmin@xxxxxxx
0xBD4A95BF

"Quadriplegics think before they write stupid pointless
shit...because they have to type everything with their noses."

        http://www.tshirthell.com/

Subject field