[GeoStL] Re: Is it me, or is there bad days?

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:05:26 -0600

-
I have had some bad days. But I also had one that started bad until I
figured something out. I have a Garmin 60CS. I use the built in compass
a lot and just follow the red arrow. Well, one time it seemed that I was
just getting turned in directions that just didn't make sense. Finally I
stopped and let the GPS and compass settle. In that unit, the GPS works
best when the antenna points up, and the compass doesn't work unless the
antenna is horizontal. Anyway, after letting it settle, and I was
pointed in the same direction as the arrow, I made a 90 degree turn. The
arrow still pointed straight ahead. Obviously that wasn't right. I
recalibrated the electronic compass, then all of a sudden, things go a
lot easier, and I started finding caches / waypoints again. I had not
changed the batteries and it should have needed recalibration, but it
did. So now I am on the look out for such problems, and calibrate when
there is any question in my mind. I still come up empty some times, but
at least I know it is not because the equipment isn't calibrated properly.

Joe Taylor wrote:

>-
>
>OK I thnk I mainly need to vent some smoke, after a day of 40% find accuracy
>(2out of 5 caches).  Even one I had been to before, I could not find again -
>GCGJGJ - Mighty Miss.  It leaves me wondering if I am not a good seeker, or do
>others Have days like that too.
>
>Do advnced, or expert cachers, like RGS, or STRIDER have days like that too?
>Just wondering if I am not alone here.  Also tried the caches in the
>Emmenegger Park in Kirkwood, thats when I either started thinking something
>wrong with me or my GPS.
>
>Just wondering here, mostly wanted to vent some geocaching steam.
>
>Rockey_f_Squirrell
>
>Joe Taylor

> Subject field

Subject field