[GeoStL] Re: Suggestions on Geocaching policy

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:53:30 -0600

-
Hi Mike,

I have long worried about the adverse reactions caused by the other rouge stashing sites.

Various parks systems have "deals" worked out with cachers that use geocaching.com. Mostly from the hard work of cachers that have contacted people at the parks systems and worked out these deals. I guess the parks folks sort of trust "us" . I ask questions and try to not put things at airports and all that. Rules , rules, rules...

The folks that use the other sites dont like the rules., that is mostly whey they use the other sites. They will not ask permission even if required. (more than likely)

I dont think there would be much adverse effects on "us" using geocaching.com. *Maybe* it would stimulate the permission seeking activities from folks that use the other sites. (anything is possible)

I can very easily see that the navicaches and stashthecaches (who claim will burry the caches on park property) with the "no rules, place caches nearly anyplace" attitude could kill geocaching in a lot of places. I am sure that as far as a lot of managers go, any of the silly treasure boxes found everywhere is a "geocache". Find enough "illegally" placed rouge treasure boxes and guess who is gonna get banned....

I dont think it would hurt.

At 10:21 PM 1/11/2004, you wrote:

To all you wise sages in SLAGA land, I need a little advice:

As you may or may not know, I monitor caching in Jeff City Parks and we have a very open policy for Geocaching. If someone wishes to place a cache, all they need do if find spot that complies with Geocaching's policies and a few other's we add in too (not next to playgrounds or on the golf course.) I get the list of new caches emailed to me and if I see one in our parks, I go out and check it out. (Gosh, tough job...oh look, there's a new cache, I gotta go find it!!!) If it's ok, it stays - if there is a problem, I'll email the placer and figure out another alternative that suits both of us.

I've heard of Letter-boxing, Navicache and just recently StashtheCache and there may be more I am not aware of. I won't find out about new caches placed through them because some of those don't have email notification of new caches placed. Then I won't be able to check on them.

What would happen if our policy was changed by adding "any cache placed and listed on Geocaching.com need not get permission prior to placing the cache, however, any other cacher wanting to place a cache that is not listed on Geocaching.com must get permission from Parks and Rec staff prior to placing the cache."

The reason I ask your advice is that I don't want to negatively influence any other land managers and make their policies any more restrictive than necessary.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Mike Bollinger (Lazylightning)