[GeoStL] Re: New MO Geocaching Policy KATY TRAIL QUESTIONS

  • From: pntball <gcpntball@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 04:16:28 -0700 (PDT)

ok points to ponder are we own property off the abandoned section of the katy
trail.their is a cache placed on our property very close to the border of the
state park (they own 100' from center of trail outwards).does this mean i would
have to get a permit to place a cache on my property/state property.also their
are many survey markers along the trail system with numbers on them,if i used
this as part of a multi cache would it still be counted as a cache location
even though it exists as a permanent site.also since this 6 mile section of
trail has been abandoned for 14 years now so basically it shall belong to
nobody it is abandoned property after 10 years of deliquency.so is this
actually state park areas even though they tried posting the trail this year as
state park boundarys.most of the signs and all the trail crossing gates have
been removed or destroyed.many more questions may come about as the results
come back from this mailing.i wish the state would just leave this 6 miles
 as natural for just mountain bikers and hikers.they have a 25 mile section for
equestrians but no rugged grass trail in a very nice natural area.who cares if
the state is bankrupt all it takes is a tractor and 3 blades to maintain this
section of treail to fully complete the missouri connection across the
state.thanks pntball
happy hunting

Dave Keiser <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks for pointing us to that Rich. Looks pretty much like we
expected. However I wonder what will happen with existing caches.

The biggest items I noticed that will impact current caches:
1. Only one cache placement per 200 acres.
2. Only a twelve month permit, after which the cache has to be
removed. (this has it's pros--after 12 months someone can do a
different cache and we all get to revisit the park to find it)

I do appreciate that they have a permit system and that they allow
geocaching. I thought it was rather nice that they even made
accomodations for allowing up to a 5 stage multi-cache.

Dave