[GeoStL] NGR: Catalog of Humans

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 22:25:37 -0500

This is interesting... Doesn't apply to Arkansas as one person has already
fulfilled all requirements... <:-P

      Help unravel the mystery of our species' journey

      Humans are found everywhere on Earth. Yet how did we get here? Where did
we come from? And why do we all look so different? IBM and National Geographic
are mounting the Genographic Project, an ambitious attempt to help answer these
fundamental questions. The five-year study will use one of the largest
collections of DNA samples ever assembled to map how the Earth was populated.

      The Genographic Project is the brainchild of Dr. Spencer Wells, a pioneer
in using DNA samples to map human migratory patterns. Working with Dr. Wells
will be researchers from IBM's Computational Biology Center-one of the world's
foremost life sciences research facilities-and a global team of prominent
research scientists from 10 research centers around the world. Together, they
will seek answers to long-standing questions regarding man's epic migration
patterns.

      You can contribute your DNA anonymously to the study by purchasing a
public participation kit*. By participating in the project, you will learn
interesting information about your family's deep ancestry over the ages.

      To learn more about the Genographic Project and to purchase a kit, click
the link below.

      http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/genographic/participate.html

      The Genographic Project Web site will be regularly updated with
personalized migratory maps so that each personal history can become more vivid
and detailed over the length of the project.

      Leadership. Innovation. Technology. If IBM can power a project of this
magnitude, imagine what it could do for your organization.

      *To ensure total anonymity, participants will be identified at all times
only by kit numbers, not by name. There is no record or database that links
test results with the names of the contributors. If you lose your kit number,
there will be no way to access your genetic results.

Mike