[GeoStL] Re: Michigan and SLAGA Forums

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 12:56:30 -0500

-

Greg,

No one is debating the fact that we would all love to have those areas
available. We all know that there isn't much impact to a cache placed way
the heck out in the woods. Not like a new trail would be blazed out there.
But, we must give a little to recieve a little. If it is there rules that we
stay out of Wilderness and Conservation areas, then that is what we must do.
Otherwise, we would be out of state parks as well. Soon everyone will follow
and we will have all virtuals.

 I think that the US Funding part is a ploy to keep people out of areas that
they were told was off limits anyhow. I really don't see where the US
Government has issued a statement. See http://www.fws.gov/ and do a search
on geocaching. There isn't any official statements. This is not to say there
won't be any in the near future if we violate their rules. If we are asked
to stay out of wilderness areas, then that is exactly what we should do.

Mike