[GeoStL] Re: LaBarque Creek

  • From: Jack Anderson <pandyandy3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 17:10:32 -0800 (PST)

I'll be there tomorrow morning.  Many thanks to John and Laurie for the answer
to the creek crossing.  It should be a great but a little cold day, just have
to keep moving to stay warm.
  How far is the creek crossing place from the parking?  I have a two wheel
hand truck that could help move the pallets down there.

  Jack

Laurie Elfrank <lwatermann@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
      .hmmessage P  {  margin:0px;  padding:0px  }  body.hmmessage  {
FONT-SIZE: 10pt;  FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma  }    John and I went and checked it out
today. We walked the road until we found a trail toward the creek. We took the
trail to the creek, which had only 2 inches of water in it. We have three
wooden pallets that we will bring to use as a temporary bridge if needed. We
will not leave the pallets there, for we will pick them up when we leave.

The site had a map along with other information. We plotted the map on Google
Earth and have an excellent way in with the least amount of climbing. It looks
like we can get to GCMN2W with hardly any climbing at all. From there we can go
to GCMN2T with an elevation of approximately 120 feet. From there, we can walk
to GCMN2X along the ridge and drop down to the cache. From there, we can take
the valley back to the parking lot. No more than 2.65 miles round trip.
Compared to the other parking lot entrance, this looks much easier.

We will be there, rain, snow, sleet or hail with the pallets. Hope to see
everyone else there tomorrow!

-Laurie (Denmother) and John (L Frank)

   From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
   To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:38:55 -0600

-  Sounds like it may be possible to get to it if you can get across the creek.
 They have the public use ends signs further than the creek.  I wish I would
have know this when I tried.  But there still could be issues crossing the
creek and staying on the South side of the creek until you get to the valley
to head up.  With this info maybe someone could go check it out and see if  the
water is low enough to cross the creek and follow it to the valley.  I  would
volunteer but I am going on the caching trip tomorrow.  (Quad Cities  could get
8 inches of snow tomorrow so I suspect we will be going to  Evansville.)
-----Original Message-----  From: Joel Porath [mailto:Joel.Porath@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2007 2:23 PM  To: jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx; Ken
Drenon  Cc: John Vogel  Subject: Re: MDC WEB COMMENT - General    Mr. Bensman,
  In order to access the area, you will need to go south from the parking lot
across the creek, then follow the south side of
 the creek upstream until you  get to a valley or another location to go up the
hill.  You are correct in  that there is a small strip of land from the parking
lot south, and although  the map might be a little misleading, the property
line is actually the  south side of LaBarque Creek, therefore the actuall creek
is in private  ownership.  We are working on building a trail on the area this
winter,  perhaps with a foot bridge across the creek.  Once this trail is
complete,  access will be made easier.  Hope you get a chance soon to get out
to this  area again and enjoy it because you are correct, it is a neat place.
If you  have further questions, feel free to contact either myself or the Area
Manager, John Vogel, at 636-441-4554.  Thanks. joel    Joel W. Porath
Wildlife Regional Supervisor  Missouri Department of Conservation  St. Louis
Regional Office  2360 Highway D  St. Charles MO 63304  phone (636) 300-1953
ext. 226  fax (636) 926-9125  joel.porath@xxxxxxxxxx