[GeoStL] Re: LaBarque Creek

  • From: Laurie Elfrank <lwatermann@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Newsgroup, Geocaching" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:07:39 -0600

John and I went and checked it out today. We walked the road until we found a
trail toward the creek. We took the trail to the creek, which had only 2 inches
of water in it. We have three wooden pallets that we will bring to use as a
temporary bridge if needed. We will not leave the pallets there, for we will
pick them up when we leave.

The site had a map along with other information. We plotted the map on Google
Earth and have an excellent way in with the least amount of climbing. It looks
like we can get to GCMN2W with hardly any climbing at all. From there we can go
to GCMN2T with an elevation of approximately 120 feet. From there, we can walk
to GCMN2X along the ridge and drop down to the cache. From there, we can take
the valley back to the parking lot. No more than 2.65 miles round trip.
Compared to the other parking lot entrance, this looks much easier.

We will be there, rain, snow, sleet or hail with the pallets. Hope to see
everyone else there tomorrow!

-Laurie (Denmother) and John (L Frank)

From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:38:55 -0600 -
Sounds like it may be possible to get to it if you can get across the creek.
They have the public use ends signs further than the creek.  I wish I would
have know this when I tried.  But there still could be issues crossing the
creek and staying on the South side of the creek until you get to the valley
to head up.  With this info maybe someone could go check it out and see if
the water is low enough to cross the creek and follow it to the valley.  I
would volunteer but I am going on the caching trip tomorrow.  (Quad Cities
could get 8 inches of snow tomorrow so I suspect we will be going to
Evansville.)