[GeoSTL] Re: Just Wondering?

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Jun 2002 11:54:11 -0500

I also have the eTrex Vista. It is my 4th GPS.  The first one I had was a
Delorme that was a yellow device that plugged into your laptop.  Then I got
the Gamin GPS12 and then the Gamin III Plus.

Two addition features the Vista has is WAAS Differential readings and a
magnetic compass.  Both are very useful for geocaching.

The WAAS features allows your GPS to download data to greatly increase the
accuracy of your reading.  When you get a WAAS lock, you generally have 5 to
15 feet accuracy which is much more accurate than any none WAAS will get.
But sometimes it is hard to maintain a WAAS lock, you have to point the GPS
towards the Southeast and sometimes let it set a while when you are in tree
cover.  Sometimes you cannot get a WAAS lock.  But this is a very good
feature for caching.

The built in magnetic compass is very useful when you get close to the
cache. When you use the GPS signal to determine direction, it does not work
when you are moving slowly and changing direction often as you do when you
are trying to find the cache.  When you do not have a built in magnetic
compass and moving slowly and changing directions, the GPS tells you which
direction the cache is, but it is not orientated and cannot tell you what
direction you are traveling. You can see the difference when you are
standing still.  Without a magnetic compass when you rotate your GPS unit,
the compass does not rotate.  With a magnetic compass, the compass rotates
as the GPS unit rotates.  So when you are close to the cache, the GPS will
continue to correctly point to the cache no matter how slow you go or how
many times you turn.  You can always bring a compass with you to orientate
your GPS, but built in is much better.

The GPS12 was great when I got it.  It was a top of the line back then.  But
not anymore.  You can still find caches with it.  But it is not WAAS
capable, does not have any maps, and does not have a magnetic compass.  When
I got into caching, I had a GPS III Plus.

I would highly recomend the eTrex Vista