[GeoStL] Insect Bites

  • From: "Bernie" <happykraut@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 07:41:17 -0500

-
  I keep forgetting to tell you that I use 'Dermarest Plus' with pretty good
results. It is a cooling anti-itch gel.  Bernie

-
Bernie,

I agree that the bites are mostly chiggers. I just ran a couple of thoughts
together.
I was more curious about the insects I saw crawling on me. To give a
comparison of how small
they were, imagine sharpening a pencil as sharp as you can possible get it &
then make a dot
on a piece of paper with it & you'll come close to the size of these things.

Eric

Bernie wrote:

> -
>   Eric, that sounds more like chigger bites to me. If you saw them, then
> they were probably seed ticks, but you most likely had both. Tick bites
> don't last if you pick them off unless you let them get imbedded, then you
> can feel them afterwards. Chiggers are more microscopic. I have seen them
on
> me with a magnifying glass and they show up as tiny little red dots. Don't
> take any of this as gospel, but I believe others will agree.  Bernie
>
> -
> As much as I hate winter, I have to say that winter caching is great. Many
> of my 200+ caches
> were done in winter/cooler months. I agree with Mike, ticks & chiggers
> coupled with the heat
> slows or deters many peoples progress.
>
> Speaking of ticks & chiggers, Dayna & I were camping this past weekend in
> Danville
> Conservation Area & did the Hermann area caches. We came up with the worst
> case of bites we've
> EVER had. We both have well over 100 bites. The itch is beginning to
subside
> but not yet gone.
> Any recommendations for relief? We've tried alcohol, bite back & clear
> fingernail polish.
> Also, these ticks (I assume they were ticks) were sooooo small. I've seen
> small ticks before
> but, these were almost too small to make out any identifying features. The
> other odd thing
> about them is that at one point, I was covered with literally 100's of
these
> critters; it
> looked like a swarm of bees!!!
>
> Thanks & God bless!