[GeoStL] Re: Handheld PDA's

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:07:37 -0500

-

I could not disagree more on the Mobipocket Reader.  IMHO, you would be
crazy to use Mobipocket.  I used to use it and I had nothing but trouble
with it.  The method Bruce told us all about is 100 times better than
Mobipocket.  It is a bit complicated to figure out (but not that hard).
Once you get it all set up it takes about 5 mouse clicks to get the files
loaded on your PDA.  The Plucker system is much faster than Mobipocket (i.e,
it will find the cache page a lot faster).  Another great advantage is it
has a link for the 4 nearest caches to the one you are at.  So when you go
to the next cache, you just click the hyperlink.  With Mobipocket, you have
to write in the cache ID and then search for it (which takes a while and
sometimes search will not work!).

One of the reasons why I like the Sonys is they have a high resolution
screen.  Most PDAs have a 160 * 160 dpi screen.  The Sonys have a 320 * 320
dpi screen.  That means the screen is twice as sharp and you can see twice
as much on the screen.  There is also a high resolution plucker reader that
is much nicer than the standard plucker reader.  I highly recomend th Sony
high resolution color which sells for about $200.

Here is Bruce's message:

Note:  I do not use the watcher.  It is not needed.