[GeoStL] GCxxxx waypoints into MS Streets & Trips

  • From: "John Kinder" <jkinder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:16:35 -0600

If you own Microsoft Streets & Trips this should be of interest. Even if you
don't, the Excel file of all the nearby caches might be useful.

Attached is a .zip file that contains a MS Streets & Trips 2002 map file that
has labeled pushpins (with GCxxxx waypoints, cache names, and coordinates) for
all 374 active geocaches within 100 miles (of my place in St. Charles). If you
have S&T you can load it and have all of them mapped out for you. You can then
plot routes and driving directions, etc. Also included is a .xls file with the
source data I used to import into Streets & Trips via Data + Import Data
Wizard.

In case your wondering here's what I did:
a) downloaded waypoints from geocahcing.com using easyspeak into easygps (25 at
a time)
b) dragged & dropped each of the easygps files into 1 merged file
c) saved the easygps file as a .GPX (instead of default .LOC). - I noticed .GPX
was actually a .XML file
d) ran a utility I hacked together to create a tab delimited .txt file from
filtered .GPX data
e) imported the .txt into .xls using Excel
f) Imported the .xls into Streets & Trips as pushpins.

John (dj&r)