[GeoStL] Re: GCxxxx waypoints into MS Streets & Trips

  • From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 13:02:43 -0600

The other way get the file into a format readable by MS Streets & Trips is to use Geobuddy. This program will merge multiple loc files and then you can save as Streets and Trips CSV. This csv file can then be imported to MS S & T. Geobuddy can be downloaded from http://www.geobuddy.com.

From: "John Kinder" <jkinder@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] GCxxxx waypoints into MS Streets & Trips
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:16:35 -0600

If you own Microsoft Streets & Trips this should be of interest. Even if you don't, the Excel file of all the nearby caches might be useful.

Attached is a .zip file that contains a MS Streets & Trips 2002 map file that has labeled pushpins (with GCxxxx waypoints, cache names, and coordinates) for all 374 active geocaches within 100 miles (of my place in St. Charles). If you have S&T you can load it and have all of them mapped out for you. You can then plot routes and driving directions, etc. Also included is a .xls file with the source data I used to import into Streets & Trips via Data + Import Data Wizard.

In case your wondering here's what I did:
a) downloaded waypoints from geocahcing.com using easyspeak into easygps (25 at a time)
b) dragged & dropped each of the easygps files into 1 merged file
c) saved the easygps file as a .GPX (instead of default .LOC). - I noticed .GPX was actually a .XML file
d) ran a utility I hacked together to create a tab delimited .txt file from filtered .GPX data
e) imported the .txt into .xls using Excel
f) Imported the .xls into Streets & Trips as pushpins.

John (dj&r)

<< waypointswithin100miles20021029.zip >>

Unlimited Internet access -- and 2 months free!  Try MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/2monthsfree.asp

Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List & Archive Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching