[GeoStL] Re: Event cache discussion

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 22:14:59 -0500

-

Funny you mentioned live ammunition and guns. I was going to say that Guns
and Roses was going to be there.... real guns, and roses for the.... well
never mind...

One thing I was thinking about in all this mess after reading some of those
posts.... It seems that if you want to have a social gathering, then the
rules as they exist now work fine. Of course the LOTEC thing ought to be
implemented to make it really work right. The only problem seems to come in
when it involves being at an event where cachers are trying to "spread the
word" so to speak and involve others at an event put on by someone else.
Seems to me that the only issue there is that someone wants to log something
for that effort. That is a lot like asking to be paid to give money to
charity. If you want to train someone or spread the word on your sport, what
is the big deal about logging an event? Do it out of the goodness of your
heart and be part of the "staff" doing that. You don't need to "advertise"
the event to the general geocache community to man an event like that. It
isn't about bringing folks in for a social or hunting caches, it is about
sharing the sport. So what if you can't log it. If the only way you will
participate in something like that is if you can log it as an event, I am
notsure I would want someone like that spreading their version of geocaching
to others. You don't need to publish a cache to spread the word for
volunteers. Just like the rules mention organizing a cache hunt, this stuff
is best done in a forum where you can gather some folks and count on them
being there rather than publishing in the blind and hoping somebody shows
up.

Just my humble two cents.

Glenn wrote:
- NOTE: do not select reply in your e-mail program if you wish to respond to
this message from the geocaching.com mail bot. Go to your cache page and
e-mail *gln from the log there OR email me at
Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx[1], referencing the cache URL's, or waypoint
numbers. --- Good Evening Bear, After looking at your newly proposed event
cache I am afraid that I can not list it as it currently exists. While it
does have some components of a good Halloween event cache, I did not see any
mention of blood, gore, guts, live ammunition, guns, knives, chainsaws or
explosives. While I am excited that you are enthusiastic and really
interested enough to actually plan and submit an event cache, I must ask you
to reconsider your cache contents. Thank you for your submission. I will
place it in my "hold queue" until I see something al little more
appropriate.Thanks Glenn, your friendly Geocaching.com admin. Missouri
Geocachers Assoc http://www.MoGeo.com[2] *THE* Forums for Mo &Ks.
http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php[3]? St. Louis Area Geocachers Association
http://www.GeoStl.com[4] and Email List
//www.freelists.org/list/geocaching[5] Dave's Handy Hiding Hints
http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm[6] At 04:33 PM 10/27/2005, you
wrote: - My next event will be a virtual event at a cemetery that has a
railroad track running under an interstate bridge. I got permission from
someone there to have the event which is really a halloween event in which I
want to introduce the Johnny Depp characters to geocaching but no one else
soit will be a private affair. We will place 30 temporary caches all within
the same .1 miles but they will be buried. We will have mini shovels for
those allowed to participate. I will submit it 10 minutes before the event
socan you hurry and approve it? Of course, this is only if we can have the
LOTEC page brought back... Mike Tired of Spam?? Here's your solution.. See:
http://www.spamarrest.com/affl?4001050[7] ----- Original Message ----- From:
"Glenn" <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>[8] To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[9] Sent:
Thursday, October 27, 2005 10:20 AM Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Event cache
discussion - I thought of that as two separate events. they had there and we
had ours and pretty much we didnt mingle. We just happened to be at the same
park. What luck. LOTEC... that seems like a good idea. At 10:08 AM
10/27/2005, you wrote: - Actually, MIGC was an event that was part of the
Orienteering meet that was already planned, kind of like the first message
inthe forum. Maybe we can bring LOTEC back and put that in the discussion
too:-) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn" <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>[10] To:
<geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[11] Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005 9:54 AM
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: Event cache discussion - I guess by the letter of the
guideline, several things we have done have not quite fit the rules. :-) I
always thought it was akin to a geocaching class for kids but i dont know.
Groundspeak made the guidelines broader to get more things in but it seems
like it is as confusing as ever. I think it is still OK but i am sure that
-Lots of messages in just one day. Now where does that put the "Tiger Days"
event? ----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn" <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>[12]
To:"SLAGA" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>[13] Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2005
7:47 AM Subject: [GeoStL] Event cache discussion -
http://tinyurl.com/7hg8y[14]Not for the weak of heart. I get so confused
after reading the junk in the forums. I am grateful that we have a bunch of
reasonable folks in Missouri and that I don't get sucked into these things.
Event caches, more things to think about. --------------------- Glenn
Subject field

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx