[GeoStL] Re: Caching in National Parks!

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2004 11:57:21 -0500

-
<<Yes Crestwood did sponsor the cache... however all the leg work was don=
e by=20
a geocacher.>>
Well, that is exactly what I was talking about. If there are NO physical =
caches allowed at all now, then you are a step ahead in the right directi=
on. Sure it means theirs and nobody else's at first, but that is one step=
 beyond NONE. NADA. ZIP. I just think it is a good start and a reasonable=
 follow-on to the EarthCache step. And I think a geocacher SHOULD do it. =
And the park folks should be involved so knowledge from both sides is exc=
hanged so that it can meet the needs of both sides. The park folks may be=
 helpful in planning a path with waypoints to help them preserve areas wh=
ere they don't want traffic, and actually educate the geocacher about WHY=
 that is a priority, and the geocacher can explain why they shouldn't rea=
lly erect sign posts pointing you along the the paths directly to the cac=
he so you don't need a GPS. Although you can go to the Crestwood web and =
download a map showing you all the waypoints and the cache location, so s=
omeone could, in theory, do it without a GPS, they didn't put up sign pos=
ts along the way  ;-) . The geocacher would probably not be able to make =
the permanent waypoint markers without the park's blessing either. All in=
 all, I think it was a pretty good deal. The only thing I didn't like abo=
ut it is that the final cache is pretty small, and you get the impression=
 that there is going to be more to it than what is there. I think the kid=
s would get a bigger kick out of it if it were bigger and allowed better =
"prizes".

It isn't that I don't like the idea of the EarthCache, mind you. It does =
sound pretty cool, and it is something I would like to take my son on as =
an educational experience. I was just a bit curious about why this was su=
ch a big deal considering it could have been done all along as a virtual =
cache. I didn't think of the gc.com approval aspect of it, but that is be=
cause I am new at this. So I learned something, and perhaps in my naivet=E9=
 thought of what could be a good next step.

But y'all are here so you can say "be careful what you ask for!"

Bruce S wrote:

>-
>

> =20
>
>>From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>-
>>Gee wiz, maybe the another answer is for the park to start sponsoring
>>their own caches like Crestwood did. Then they can toot their own
>>whistle wherever they want. The two together would probably be a nice
>>combo, and maybe a way to perhaps get some geocachers in there to maybe=

>>set them up for the park service, and then they can maintain it as just=

>>another part of the park facility. It could start up a nice relationshi=
>>that may help the two sides appreciate each other and maybe be better
>>for the encounter.
>>
>>   =20
>>

>Careful what you ask for.  There are places in the country that parks do=
=20
>sponsor caches but they only allow their own caches and don't allow any =

>others.
>
>Yes Crestwood did sponsor the cache... however all the leg work was done=
 by=20
>a geocacher.

 the Subject field

> =20