[gameprogrammer] Re: opengl

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:07:15 -0600

On Apr 20, 2007, at 4:30 AM, Ace wrote:

so do you mean that people use both SDL and OpenGL in one project? or
could SDL replace OpenGL in some cases?

when do we should use SDL or OpenGL?

right now I'm starting to learn using SDL, but from what my friend
told me that SDL could only be used for 2D. Is this statement wrong?

No, not wrong. SDL has no build-in ability to draw in 3D. As has been said already, though, one can use SDL to setup the window and get input and access to sounds, etc... with SDL, and then use OpenGL to do any rendering you would normally be able to do in OpenGL. But keep in mind that OpenGL isn't exclusively for 3D! I use SDL/OpenGL for my (non-game) project which uses almost exclusively 2D rendering for UI, etc...

It may be heresy to say, but I honestly don't REALLY know how to do any of the SDL drawing stuff for a game. I came to SDL after learning OpenGL already, and saw no need to learn SDL's graphics, as I have little intention to write something for a system that doesn't have OpenGL or graphics acceleration... Of course that could all change if I found a job programming for mobile devices, but I'm not really looking yet. ^_^

Best of luck!

-- Scott