[gameprogrammer] Re: Lossless data compression

  • From: "Kevin Jenkins" <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 18:19:53 -0700

I was looking at this range coder
http://www.arturocampos.com/ac_range.html

It's supposedly as good as arithmetic coding but twice as fast.

I can use zlib but can it run in real time without slowing the engine down?
I'm currently using huffman which is pretty fast to decode.

Either way I'm going to give zlib a shot for my game.  In my game you
download files from the server if you don't have them and certain big files
need to be compressed.