[gameprogrammer] Re: Linux C++ compiler without a makefile

  • From: Sebastian Beschke <s.beschke@xxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 15:27:51 +0200

Hi,

Kevin Jenkins wrote:
 > I'm looking for a linux C++ compiler that does not require me to edit
 > any configuration files, especially makefiles.  Is there such a thing?

First of all, you're probably confusing compilers and IDEs. Dev-C++, for
example, uses the g++ compiler you'd use in Linux, too, but
automatically generates the makefiles.

After a pretty short time of developing in Linux, I've found myself
actually *preferring* the vim-g++ combination over an unhandy IDE like
KDevelop. The reason for this is scons, which made managing projects
rather painless. It's basically a replacement for make, but way easier
to use because it auto-generates dependencies and the like. It also uses
a "real" programming language (Python) for its build scripts, which
allows for a lot of flexibility. If you have a simple program, basically
all you have to write is this little script:

Program(target="myprog", source=["main.cpp", "file1.cpp"])

and then you only need to add new files to the list as you write them.
Of course, you can also add arguments to modify any build parameters
(libraries, optimization...) and make use of command line arguments that
were passed to scons.

You can get the program from http://www.scons.org

Regards,
Sebastian