[gameprogrammer] Re: 3d multiplayer game

  • From: "Olivier Delannoy" <olivier.delannoy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2007 15:37:07 +0100

I don't think the camera position is the main issue. Honestly, doing
one or the other is just about the same. In one case the camera is
attached to the player at the position of the head. In the second case
it is attached to the player at a position above and behind. But in
both case its just a translation. Third person camera is definitely
not easier than first person camera solution. I know of only a few
game which give a good view to the player in all situation for third
person view. You have to solve the problem of visibility, indeed the
player must always be visible from the location of the camera. This
implies geometry removal, or camera position automatic control or ...
I think a first person camera view controled using the mouse /
keyboard is really not that difficult. And there is plenty of example
already available. But the best solution is to assume you will
implement both and try to associate movement to a player/character
object and have the camera attached to the player. Then you can switch
from one solution to the other without many modification (just the
camera class).