[gameprogrammer] Re: 3D objects...

  • From: "Kevin Fields" <drunkendruid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:27:15 -0300

I have waaaay too many thoughts about this. Hehe...
I've seen some demos that use the MilkShape3D format, and seem to pull it
off rather nicely.
Personally, at school, my team used LightWave for creating our models, then
I wrote a custom exporter that creates a format I can use. Of course, this
didn't have ANY animations and such. If you're using animations, you might
want to look at the simpler model formats to get yourself started. I don't
think 3DS Max files would be all that easy, and I can definitely tell you
that LightWave is NOT simple either. It can be a pain in the butt to learn,
especially since there aren't that many resources online, so you'd end up
pouring over incomplete documentation.

The .X files are well structured, and don't take long to learn. And, if you
decide to use DirectX as your graphics API, it's made all the more easier
with the Mesh and SkinnedMesh classes. If you're in need of any reference
material, I'd suggest "Focus on 3D Models". I've found that to be quite
helpful for me. As well, the book covers quite a few model formats, and how
to load and animate them. It also comes with a CD full of source code and
demos.

Hope that has helped a bit,

Kevin

From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [gameprogrammer] 3D objects...
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:18:54 -0600

So I decided that for my game I want to make use of the power of the
graphics cards and use 3D objects.  Because of the view I can get away
with some seriously low poly counts, so I thought I'd take a whack at
creating my own graphics. I picked up Milkshape 3D and with the
tutorials I've found, I realized that it will be pretty easy to create a
couple low-tech models. Question is, what format to export them as?
There are so many, and the 3D engine I was checking out supports all of
them (or has an import tool), so the question is...

For any who have had experience, what format is best, fastest, easiest,
or smallest?

The entire thing is still pretty new to me. Because of the limited
amount of capabilities I need, I still toy with the idea of just writing
my own engine, but I honestly would rather be focusing on game play and
use something like OGRE.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason.

---

MSN® Calendar keeps you organized and takes the effort out of scheduling
get-togethers.

first two months FREE*.