[gameprogrammer] 3D objects...

  • From: "Jason Clark" <jclark@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:18:54 -0600

So I decided that for my game I want to make use of the power of the
graphics cards and use 3D objects.  Because of the view I can get away
with some seriously low poly counts, so I thought I'd take a whack at
creating my own graphics. I picked up Milkshape 3D and with the
tutorials I've found, I realized that it will be pretty easy to create a
couple low-tech models. Question is, what format to export them as?
There are so many, and the 3D engine I was checking out supports all of
them (or has an import tool), so the question is...

For any who have had experience, what format is best, fastest, easiest,
or smallest?

The entire thing is still pretty new to me. Because of the limited
amount of capabilities I need, I still toy with the idea of just writing
my own engine, but I honestly would rather be focusing on game play and
use something like OGRE.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Jason.