[fsug-calicut] IoT bootcamp at West Hill Engineering college

  • From: Pirate Praveen <praveen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FSUG Calicut <fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2015 20:32:17 +0530

Hi,

I will be introducing Free Software at the event organized by ICFOSS and
SMC.

This is the overview of the session I'm planning to cover. I think the
session is for a selected audience.

I have debian jessie isos if anyone wants to copy.

Thanks
Praveen

Philosophy of Free Software.
- Individually and collectively control software.
- self-reliance in technology.

Free Knowledge
- wikipedia
- free access journals

Free Culture
- Creative Commons

Free Standards
- open document format
- xmpp (messaging)
- ogg (vorbis, theora)

Beyond Technology
- Open Web
- Net Neutrality
- Decentralization
- Privacy

Challenges
- Software Patents
- Drug Patents

For students,
- learn by doing
- see state of the art designs
(a mechanical engineer never get to see a Ferari design)
- learn with the best
(your contributions are reviewed by passionate programmers)
- learn tools
- learn collaboration
- solve real problems
- improve communication skills

3 streams of contributions,
system administration/infrastructure maintenance/packaging
coding (features/bug fixes)
documentation/testing

Managing system,
shell and shell scripting
- users and groups
- file system permissions
- remote access, ssh keys

Collaboration,
- git version control
- editing wiki

Communication
- mailing lists
- bug tracking
- irc

Testing
- installer testing
- building upstream source

Communities (I'm part of)
- fosscommunity.in - infrastructure, advocacy
- smc.org.in - local language computing, advocacy
- pirates.org.in - policy, infrastructure, advocacy
- calicut.fsug.in - local Free Software community of Calicut

Local communities in each districts, we should have one in each campus too

Projects (my favorites/todo):

1. TextSecure for Firefox OS/Loqui IM (Javascript/C++)
2. mosh ideas/ssp for xmpp (asynchronous messaging in unreliable networks)
- research, specifications, loqui im, reference implentation
3. xmpp file sharing for loqui im (javascript)
4. Kontalk for Loqui IM (javascript)
5. Backport diaspora to jessie (packaging)
6. Package gitlab (packaging, ruby)
7. Maintain a diaspora pod (system administration)
8. Maintain a discourse forum (system administration)
9. Maintain Group Server instance (system administration)
10. Package Group Server (packaging, python)
11. Package gnukhata (packaging, python, java)
12. Maintain gitlab instance (system administration)