[frgeek-michiana] Re: Volunteer database - hardware question...

  • From: Richard Zimmerman <ke4rit@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 12:56:44 -0400

mansfield wrote:
Hi Goose,

What is gibbering?

  Don't know still... <grin> Turns out the hub was the problem...

1) Do you have a box (known good)? Run eathereal (packet sniffer) on it and watch what is on the wire. I wonder from power off through the kernel load if you will detect the problem. Eathereal will indicate if something is on the line. It should be able to tell you if something loaded incorrectly
   and is interupting other stuff.
Tried that.... I grabbed a 10/100 HUB from the warehouse. Although I'd swear it LOOKS like it operates like a switch... I ran Wireshark (old Ethereal) on the laptop and monitored everything. I don't know what the failure was on the switch I had at home ( little 5 port job) but the 3com switch was filtering out whatever the garbage was, Wireshark never collected anything.

2) What about cable issues?

   Nope, ran fine the whole time...

3) What about Hub/Switch issues?

 Yup, see above...

Thanks again for the suggestions... Presently, I have the old server on life support (DSL-N) so I can copy of the data from the drive. Shame I didn't set the root password so I can access it.... <frown>

YES, several doc's say DSL-N doesn't set a password, when your trying to access it via ssh server YES you need a password which I didn't setup at home.

  Richard