[frgeek-michiana] Re: Volunteer database - hardware question...

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 15:42:49 -0400

Any recent updates to kernel or apps?

From: frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:frgeek-michiana-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Richard Zimmerman
Sent: Friday, October 12, 2007 8:48 AM
To: Free Geek Michiana
Subject: [frgeek-michiana] Volunteer database - hardware question...

The volunteer database is down for the foreseeable future...

1) My beloved IBM Intellistation (Dual cpu P3-450 384mb ECC RAM) is
probably going to be diagnosed as dead and economical to repair. <big
frown> As I was troubleshooting last night the scsi drive in it
developed a huge pile of errors to the point the drive will not boot
now. Booting the system with DSL-N DOES Allow me to mount the partition
so I should be able to get the volunteer website and my data off the
drive before it totally dies....

That's job 1 this weekend.

2) My MORE SERIOUS question for the group.

   The first symptom was the nic's (in two separate computers) were
gibbering. My past tells me the nic is fried and needs to be replaced...
However, EVERY nic I put into the Intellistation did it! Later in
troubleshooting the Dell Poweredge 2500, the SAME PROBLEM!!!! Every nic
I installed gibbered.

    I insert the nic (Dell at this point cause the IBM was already dead
and turn on the server
    As the hardware is initializing, the nic would start gibbering (on
board nic AND pci nic)
    The system boots, dmesg SEES the nic(s)
    ifconfig WILL not bind an ip address to the nic(s)
    removing (rmmod) the nic module(s) and modprobe tulip(example) them
does NOT solve the problem.

    The nic's keep right on gibbering.

    WHAT IS GOING ON! ????

   I have never been across this one... Grant it, I got some nics from
the salvage pile from the warehouse. I pulled a known GOOD nic from the
thin client I still had at the house. It also gibbered! Then it ALSO
gibbered when I put it back into the thin client and powered it up!

   My first thought is I fried the pci bus by accidently pulling a nic
before I removed power from the motherboard but that is NOT the case. (I
learned that lesson the hard way a number of years ago) AND I CAN lspci
and see ALL of the devices on the pci bus including the nic(s)!!!!!

    I also thought about the old Linksys 10/100 switch I have might be
the cause of the problem. I grabbed my DSL/router that my father gave me
and the gibbering goes on with it too. The Gibbering is also confirmed
using my WHR-HP-G54 Buffalo router.

    In sleeping on this, *IF* I blew had blown or crippled the pci
chipset (by pulling cards with the power on), one would surmise that
lspci would not work and the machine wouldn't boot period. As I recall,
I was making darn sure to remove the power before I swapped cards.

    With the Intellistation, the onboard e100 IBM nic worked FINE! Only
the pci nic (for my internal network) gibbered). On the Dell Poweredge
2500, the onboard AND any pci nic I installed gibbered.

    Any change I took some kind of 'tin hat' EMP pulse or something that
wiped my machines via the network side? <sinister evil grin>

    What really blows my mind is the following.....

    1) The gibbering is starting almost as soon as EITHER machine is
powered up. This to me would indicate a hardware issue.
    2) If the gibbering was starting AFTER the Linux kernel was booted
and nic module(s) loaded, it would be a Linux issue.
          (Debian Etch in case your wondering)

    3) What and why is it happening?????????
    4) House power issue maybe?
    5) The Windows XP machine (Dell dim 3000) was powered OFF at the
time and is not showing symptoms, though it's mainboard had power and
it's nic was connected to the network.

    I do know that I'm going to make a trip to the warehouse tonight to
grab a 10/100 hub/switch something, and some nic, probably a spare
computer. Another wards grab a total separate set of equipment to help
me troubleshoot this problem.

   Seriously, I have no idea what to think.... Anyone have any ideas?

   Thanks...

   Richard

** This list is PUBLICLY archived. **
PLEASE don't post personal or sensitive information unless you wish for it
to be in the public domain.

The archive is available at
//www.freelists.org/archives/frgeek-michiana/

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list
website at //www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana