[frgeek-michiana] New lab shopping list

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2005 17:08:22 -0500

The proposed shopping list for the new lab is at http://www.freegeekmichiana.org/LabShopList.html. If there is anything left off the list, let me know right away. The server is not included as I think we may need to order it after we've been reimbursed for the other lab purchases.

Clearly, the most expensive item on the materials list is the 17" LCD monitors. At this point, the displays are 75% of the cost of the lab. We should consider carefully whether (a) we should get an estimate on 15" LCD displays; or, (b) we ought to use CRTs from our stock at the warehouse.

Since the lab estimate is $4000 without a server, I think we are putting too much of our cash into the lab. I'll meet with Jody as soon as I can to find out the exact amount of funds we have to spend and what the church thinks of the lab plan. John, I need the DWG or a PDF of the layout before the meeting.

We don't have an estimate yet for a UPS for the server. I can pick something off CDW or TigerDirect to match the proposed server from Monarch. Don't know whether we need power conditioning or protection for the workstations and displays.

The Graybar web site doesn't list prices. Does anyone have a company account at Graybar? My cabling subcontractor has an account there. Maybe he would let us order through his company without a mark up. FGM can probably open a cash-only account at Graybar.

As soon as I receive your comments, I'll start purchasing. We should plan on cutting, terminating and testing CAT5 this coming Tuesday night. I'll check with John re buying tables and chairs at SAM's Club Monday or Tuesday during the day. I doubt we'll have CFs to flash for the new workstations so we'll use the old lab equipment to test cables. I should have ordered the CFs last week, sorry.

You may unsubscribe or change your list settings by going to the list website at
<//www.freelists.org/webpage/frgeek-michiana>