[frgeek-michiana] Lab Notes, 2/24/04

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:17:34 -0500

Lab Notes, 2/24/04

Present: Mike Cook, Tom Brown; 6:00 - 10:30 PM

:: NetVista LTSP Howto

Mike and I worked on the NetVista 8364TUS ethernet conversion howto. See the draft at MichianaGeeks.net. Send me your comments.

http://www.michianageeks.net/2004/netvista.xhtml

Once the howto final draft is approved, I'll announce it on lists and web sites: FREE GEEK startup, K12LSTP, MLUG, LTSP. I'll submit the howto to Linux Documentation Project and LTSP contribs page. I'd like to publish the doc on MichianaGeeks, but it may be more productive to serve it at FGM. Your thoughts?

:: WNDU-TV Sweeps Week Interview

Last week was "sweeps week" for television broadcasters. The TV polling companies test market shares for stations during sweeps week. As a rule the broadcasters air their best or most tawdry content in hopes of attracting larger audiences during the poll.

I was invited to talk about FREE GEEK Michiana and computer donations in conjuction with a consumer segment on hard drive security erasure. The news director thought FGM would receive a boost AND the public would watch because of anxiety about security -- nobody wants people snooping on their hard drives. The WNDU news director donated a personal computer to FGM. Before donating the news team asked a tech at WNDU to "hack" the hard drive for data. Then they donated the computer to FGM and filmed me hauling to my van.

I'd like to follow the WNDU box through our system into the hands of FreeBox grad. I might video tape its refurb and its distribution, then give the tape to WNDU-TV.

The segment aired last Friday (I think). As a result I have received phone calls and emails from folks who want to sign up for a FreeBox classes and to volunteer.

:: NetVista Pickup and Transfer

Gil Michel says we are good to go. We can transfer the NetVistas from Jay's employer's warehouse to Gil's back office. Jay says he can help make the transfer. The question is: Do we do it during the day or at next week's lab night?

Gil's office is open until 7:00 PM during tax season. If we meet at the Goodwill on Western at 6:00 PM, we can load up our vans and cars and make the transfer. If not, then Jay and I will do it during the day. What are your "druthers"?

:: Demanufacturing Workbenches

We can only keep computers in Gil's office for three months. But that will give us time to clean out the upper room at the Sally and install our experimental workbenches. So we have two tasks for the next lab: (a) move FreeBox material to Gil's , and (b) move junk to the Barn.

I need a project schedule and materials list for the workbenches from Olin and Mike. If I have a materials list at the next lab, two of us can shop at a home center and bring the materials back to the lab. Mike's pickup truck is in Indianapolis temporarily so we may need to use one of our vans.

:: IRS 501(c)(3) Tax Exemption

Jay has found an accountant who is willing to do our 501(c)(3) filing pro bono and save us $600 USD. Yahoo!