[frgeek-michiana] FreeBox distribution idea and Tanya

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: FreeGeek Michiana <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:18:17 -0500

Our FreeBox gaylord is about half full. A full gaylord is about 25 PCs depending on size.

The PTA at Perley elementary school, which serves a low income neighborhood, has asked us in the past for a FreeBox to give away. They raffled it off at a PTA meeting to encourage parents to attend. I would like to contact the PTA and offer to supply them with a FreeBox for every PTA meeting for the rest of the school year if they will let us give a presentation at one or more PTA meetings.

I would include offer to train FB recipients, 3-4 at a time. To do the training, on site at Perley, we will need a portable lab. We talked about building a portable training lab before. Prices on very small thin clients and LCDs are dropping. Compact PCs, the "server", with dual core CPUs are also dropping in price.

I think we can put together a 3-4 station lab and pay cash. If we ask for donations, we might even raise the money or equipment and not spend any operating cash. We can charge a nominal fee ($10) for the training.

I'll ask Tanya, who lives in the Perley district, if she is willing to help with this proposed project.

Your thoughts?