[frgeek-michiana] Re: FreeBox distribution idea and Tanya

  • From: "Tom Brown" <tbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:05:05 -0400

Using FreeBoxes as workstations will keep costs down. I think the decision
depends on how the FreeBoxes are distributed. Take the Perley school
example.

1. Scenario Uno
The FBs are given away over the school year, one per PTA meeting. After 3-4
meetings, we hold a class. The learners (FB recipients) would need to bring
their FB and CRT with them to the class. What effects this will have? Will
they forget something? Will components work? Will the FB have a pirate copy
of Windows installed? Will it seem too much of a hurdle to cart the system
to the school so they don't show up? How will they react to waiting 3-4
meetings/weeks/months to learn to use the computer sitting in their home?

2. Scenario Dos
The raffle winners are given a certificate for a FB. After 3-4 certs are
issued, FGM arranges a class and takes FBs along as workstations. When the
class is over, the lucky winners take their FBs (plus a CRT) home.

3. Possibly Related Scenario Tres
FGM is invited to give a demonstration or presentation at Perley (or some
other organization). Would we want to cart full size computers plus a road
case of components to the site or just the road case with tiny thin clients
(or laptops) inside?

Any other scenarios?