[frgeek-michiana] Food Bank negotiation

  • From: Tom Brown <tbrown46628@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: frgeek-michiana@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2009 13:46:02 -0700 (PDT)

I talked face to face with Lisa Jaworski, the FBNI director, and I have good
news and bad news.

The FBNI will let us store our inventory in their upstairs warehouse as I
reported earlier. However, we cannot be in the warehouse after hours. The
facility closes at 4:30 PM M-F. FBNI is open for 4-5 hours two Saturday
mornings per month. Lisa said she reviewed the warehouse set up with the WH
manager, Eric Curry, and there is no way they can secure their food storage
from our area. FBNI's liability insurance is void if unauthorized people can
access the food stock. Second, only FBNI employees can operate the freight
elevator to the second floor. Unless we can manage to work during normal
business hours, the FreeBox program will shut down if we move our inventory to
FBNI.

Lisa offered to publish a notice that we need new warehouse space in the United
Way newsletter or email list. The list/newsletter has about 200 subscribers.
I'll send her an email with a one paragraph description of our mission and a
list of requirements for a new warehouse.

In sum, the FBNI space is more or less temporary (we didn't discuss the actual
time limit), and we will shut down the FreeBox program once we move our
inventory to FBNI. We will reopen the FreeBox program once we find a suitable
warehouse or switch to daytime operation only.