[freeroleplay] Re: Super Hero RPGs

  • From: James Jensen <cheeb2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 10:38:27 -0500

Samuel Penn wrote:
> On Monday 22 September 2003 16:05, James Jensen wrote:
>

>>The basic mechanics are diceless, and are built around red and white
>>stones that you move around on your character sheet (known as a
>>Character Action Display, or "CAD" for short). The most basic rule is
>>that three red stones equals one white stone.
>

> Does this actually give any advantage over dice? Are the stones
> actual physical tokens which regularly move about the character
> sheet, or are they like the 'pips' in Storyteller which are just
> another (slower) way of writing down a number?

They're physical tokens. The whole point is to make it more comic
book-ish. See below.

> We normally lounge around on sofas while roleplaying, and having
> to keep the character sheets flat whilst marking things with tokens
> would be somewhat hard.

My group does the same thing.

>>Time is measured in Pages and Panels.
>

> Presumably to represent a comic book layout.

Yeah - the whole game is based around comic book superheroism. But for
games of that genre, it looks like a really nice way to keep track of
turns. And, IMHO, there seems to be a lot to be said for the comic book
genre.

If one is going for a more TV- or movie-like superhero game, there's no
reason not to use a diced system and a normal time-keeping system
(though with the new Hulk movie, the lines between comics and cinema are
a little blurred).

> Anyway, a good review.

Thanks!

-J. Jensen