[freeroleplay] Re: Hello

  • From: "Samuel Penn" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:25:22 -0000 (GMT)

Jamie Jensen said:
> Just wanted to say hello from my new account at Gmail!
>
> It's good to see that the list isn't dead, though I'd much prefer
> discussing design and writing to copyright and licenses.

I'd agree with that, but from my end I'm not finding much
time to get much done on the Yags front, and what is being
done is more incremental. The latter is good though from
one perspective, since it means the rules are beginning to
stabalise.

Briefly, the latest decisions have been:

Packages for character generation. You choose a package which
gives a general background (mostly social class) and a skill
set. Not all are equal in the number of points they give, but
should be reasonably balanced. There are generic packages such
as 'Bard', 'Warrior noble', 'Mercenary', 'Noble woman' and
more campaign specific ones such as 'Brotherhood of the Lawmaker'
or 'Shield of Neya'. This means PCs will tend to have skills
which they should have (such as Law and Politics for a noble)
but which a player probably wouldn't take if they had to pay
for them seperately.

Skill techniques. Sort of like d20 feats, for a range of skills
(mostly combat, cult related and bardic at the moment). They
allow a character to do special things, and also cut down on the
number of required skills, since some skills have become a
technique of another.

Properties for armour and weapon types. Makes combat a bit more
complex, but makes it harder to min max since effectiveness of
weapons depends on what you're up against.

Started working on a magic system as well, which is probably
the biggest new thing.
http://www.glendale.org.uk/yags/habisfern/magic.html

--
Sam.                                http://www.glendale.org.uk