[freeroleplay] Re: Game mechanics copyright status

  • From: <dwtulloh61@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2005 13:36:11 -0400

> From: "Jerry Stratton" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: 2005/10/14 Fri AM 11:57:47 EDT
> To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: [freeroleplay] Re: Game mechanics copyright status
>

> Other items which are not protected by copyright include:
>
> names or slogans;

IANAL, but I think names (and their use in context) can be protected under
other types of law; witness what happened to James Ernest and his game "Before
I kill you, Mr Bond", for which he was sued and had to rename the game to "The
Totally Renamed Spy Game".  I think the name "Conan" is protected property as
well.

Dan