[freeroleplay] Re: Game mechanics copyright status

  • From: "Jerry Stratton" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freeroleplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:08:57 -0700 (PDT)

> On Thursday 13 October 2005 16:53, Jerry Stratton wrote:
> What you say implies that I could publish, say, a wargame that was
> largely compatible with Warhammer Ancient Battles (in the sense
> of using the same stats, maybe slightly differing army lists, but
> the rules being much the same). Is this true?

As long as you're not copying text, then yes. The rules are not
restricted. (Note that I am speaking only to U.S. copyright restrictions.)
A copyright on a rulebook does not "give the exclusive right to the art or
manufacture described therein."

> Didn't WotC object to Kenzer's HackMaster (a rip-off of 1st Edition
> AD&D)? That suggests that even if it is legal, it doesn't mean that
> a company won't threaten a lawsuit.

Well, they can threaten whatever they want. But while that's another
reason that an open source license protects gamers, a company could just
as well threaten to sue even if they'd made the game open. They can
threaten to sue over whatever they want.

In the case of Hackmaster, though, WotC never threatened to sue.
Hackmaster transforms actual text and images from the 1st edition; they
aren't just using the rules, they're using the "substantial expression"
describing those rules. So Kenzer licensed the content from WotC from the
get-go. They've licensed not just the 1E rulebooks, but several 1E
adventures also.

Jerry
--
http://www.ItIsntMurder.com/
"Give a man a fish, and you've fed him for a day. Teach him to fish, and