[freelists-users] Re: Modpost

  • From: Paul Dickson <dickson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: freelists-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 22:51:39 -0700

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 14:45:05 +0100, Learning Stone wrote:

> On 22 Apr 2002 at 19:45, Paul Dickson wrote:
> > The > is inserted in mailbox files so that MUAs can parse messages.
>
> I've often wondered exactly when that > does or does
> not get
> inserted ...
>
> I know it is nothing to do with Ecartis/Listar because in
> 18 months, we have never seen an escaped From.
>
> Are you saying it is the email client that does it?
>
> If I have understood you right, that would be a good reason
> not to use Pegasus Mail, which is so reliable in most other
> respects.

On my system (Red Hat 7.2, but this pretty much the same for all Unix
systems).

Sendmail, when it stores the mail in the user's mailbox in "mbox format"
(think that's what it's called).  A text file with all of the user's
messages, each message starting on a new line with a the word "From ".  If
the message contains a "From " at the beginning of the line within the
message, a > is added, making the line start ">From".  I know because I
tested this yesterday.

My MUA (Sylpheed) reads this mailbox via POP3 (the mailbox is really on a
different computer from my mail reader) and store it locally in a mailbox
that is MH format.  This format has a directory being the mailbox, with
individual messages store in separate files.  These files, because they
don't have to be parsed to separate the messages, do not have the > symbol
in front of lines that start with "From".  I don't know if my MUA is
removing these >'s or it's the POP3 server.  I suspect the latter.

Now if you're using Windows, I don't believe there's a standard format for
your mailbox.  So you're going to be dependent on your MUA.

I don't totally understand the original person's problem with modpost.  I
always forward (reply changes the message text by added > symbols in front
of each line) the entire message to the designated address.  Then edit the
command to modpost (and if necessary, add the > symbol before the "From ")
and then edit any other parts of the message as needed.  Part of the
problem is the line wrapping that person is having (as seen is some