Re: [ZossPens] info please on Parker 1920's "Big Red" Senior Lucky Curve (non Duofold)

  • From: isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Zoss List <pens@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 02:36:52 +0000 (UTC)

Pic and discussion after Max's quote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Braude" <skybird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
David,
I haven't seen a "DQ" style in red.
Nor have I seen a plastic red without the Duofold imprint.
Lots of early greens, but no reds.
Let's see a pic or rubbing of the imprint please.

-------

Picture included (you likely will need to hit "magnify" as most browsers will
shrink image to fit screen)

http://vacumania.com/penteech2/duofoldimprintsspread850a.jpg

Here's what I have, based on "recollection" of Duofold reading and on
observation of this pen.

1) non-Duofold imprints are known on otherwise Duofold style pens (often have
non-DF nibs along with the non-DF imprint)

2) Green non-DF-marked "Lucky Curve" pens otherwise like DF are known to have
been advertised without the Duofold name. I believe i've seen similar Lapis and
maybe Yellow pens, although we can but speculate as to whether they too
represented a hypothesized test marketing of "scary new color" before allowing
the "venerable Duofold name" on the pen. I've never seen a red before, but as
Vance noted, red non-DF-marked imprints are shown in David Shepherd's book.

3) IIRC, all the lucky-curve-sans-Duofold imprints so far cited are of the
"small" variety, as one would expect since the progression from Large to Medium
to Small imprints took place during the Hard Rubber era (pre-plastic) and since
the pens we discuss are plastic.

4) The actual pen under discussion is Canadian, which tweaks the game a bit, as
often we recognize that Canada did not always follow Parker USA "rules", but
this finding does not obviate the question as to the significance of the
imprint variation, as one still wonders- in either country- what is suggested
by the finding of a non-DF "Sr-DF-size non-DF Lucky Curve"

5) The actual pen under discussion has a larger imprint that the other
non-DF-imprinted pens of this sort. I must pull up some pens and/or images to
decide if it is utterly different from typical "Medium" imprint or if it
represents "simply" a Medium imprint sans "Duofold". In any case the
medium-ness of the imprint raises new questions as one would not expect a
medium-size imprint on a plastic pen, though perhaps here the Canadian origin
of the pen has something to do with this second anomaly.

At what passes for my stage of collecting (and I know others share this trait),
finding pens that surprise can be as much or more fun than "just" finding big,
glitzy or even valuable pens. Anomalies offer a peek away from the main
sequence of collecting. I don't ascribe high dollar value to this pen, but that
it packs a constellation of findings that I have not before seen and cannot
readily find in texts, adds charm to the game. Speculation as to significance
no doubt is part of the fun. Should it turn out this finding is more common
than I expected... so be it ;)

regards

David