Re: [ZossPens] Where have all the bargains gone?

  • From: PoohcornerPens@xxxxxxx
  • To: sweiserw@xxxxxxxxx, pens@xxxxxxxx, fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 22:57:06 EST

In a message dated 2/12/2007 7:44:44 P.M.  Pacific Standard Time,
sweiserw@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Hi all,
It's been almost  a year since I began collecting pens, and now I have around
50 that I could  safely call collectible. Whew (sigh of relief, of
satisfaction, of new-found  poverty ... )
Most of my pens come from eBay. Yes, I know, that marketplace  is frowned
upon by some, but it does offer pretty heady excitement for a  newcomer, and --
in the past, at least - some landmark deals. Is it just me, or  were fountain
pens going for less last spring and summer? Is the used/vintage  pen market
seasonal in any way? Or is this something that happens to every  collector:
"ah,
the good ol' days of [name your first year]."
Thanks for the  feedback,
Sylvia

Hi Sylvia,

We've talked about this thread a  bunch, and like many things in Pendom,
there are varying opinions as to the why  and the how.

I'll just give you my 2 centavos. Pen collecting, as a  hobby, is cyclic, and
like most economic engines, is driven by supply and  demand. I've sold the
same pens, both on the boards and on Ebay by amounts that  vary from 100-300%
over the years. This in fact is what drove me from selling on  Ebay. I had
several UK and European suppliers who all of a sudden realized that  they could
sell on Ebay rather than to me directly, and my source of pens dried  up faster
than the udders on Aunt Martha's cow. That left me to fend on Ebay  like
everyone else.

I just became unable to procure pens at a price that  I could invest the time
and effort to refurbish and sell at a price that people  would pay.

Most of our highly successful pen collectors, that have  been at it awhile,
as well as the hobbyists turned professional, have inroads to  finding vintage
pens at very good prices, thus making their time and material  outlay
worthwhile, in order to resell the pens.

Couple this with  attending many pen shows per year, and you have what
separates us mere mortals  from the "gods" of pendom. Not to mention having
extra
cash available to suck up  the deals when they are to be had.

In the end, and this is the last  comment I'll make in this rendition, pen
buying/selling is mainly as I said  supply and demand - What will you pay for
the pen I want to sell? What will I  pay for the pen I want to buy?

So, keep your eyes and ears open, and  maybe you'll luck into a box of Sumgai
pens, that you can pick up for a  pittance, and then brag about it on the
boards, and make me feel bad :-)   Pens have been like fish with me; the big
ones
seem to always get away. Oh well,  I'll just eat my minnows be happy.

Cheers
Jim

in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.