Re: Parker Vaumatic Terminology

  • From: isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 17:08:54 +0000 (UTC)

Parker Vacumatic nomenclature can be a real bear, and those who pursue
"original intent" verily wade into Gehenna. Of course some of us enjoy a stroll
through hell now and then. The key to your question is recognizing that Parker
used different names for essentially the same mode at different times AND that
they sometimes used the same name for different models at different times.

Thus, one pen on occasion had more than one model name, and one model name on
occasion was mapped onto more than one pen. This is why intense pursuit of
knowledge of this series can leave one a bit Vacu... manic.

----I noticed that there is listed both a Senior Maxima and a Maxima. [1938
cataloge]-----

That is so.

---So the correct terminology for what I always just thought of as a Maxima is
Senior Maxima and what is shown as a Maxima is what I believe is now refererred
to as a slender Maxima (same size as a Major, but with the wider Maxima cap
band).----

No. Your description is... insufficient regarding nomenclature and lacking on
model description regarding Slender Max. ;)

A better statement would read, "So the correct terminology AT SOME POINT (1938)
for what I always just thought of as a Maxima is Senior Maxima and what is
shown as a Maxima is what I believe is (AT OTHER TIMES) refererred to as a
slender Maxima (same size as a Major, but with the wider Maxima cap band AND
WITH MAXIMA NIB/FEED and WITH THINNER WALLED GRIPPING SECTOIN).

The pen commonly referred to as Slender Maxima had three different model names
from 1937-1940 or so.

The pen commonly referred to as Senior Maxima had two model names.

While one literally could reference two different pens by citing, say, "1938
Maxima" vs "1941 Maxima", this could be... obfuscating.

Thus, in general conversation, it is, I assert, best to call the fat pen Senior
Maxima and the standard-girth pen with same cap-band and big nib, Slender
Maxima.

Geez, good thing we have the Z-list around to get folks some straight answers
;)

-d