Re: Housing Crash. Wallstreet meltdown. Reprise of last year's thread...

  • From: DDobrjansk@xxxxxxx
  • To: fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 00:11:51 EDT

As someone who has spent time as a credit analyst and has a a  fair knowledge
of credit default swaps, EDF (expected default frequencies)  and credit
underwriting, a very large portion of what David Isaacson says is  spot on.

While I concur that the bail out is imperfect there needs to be shoring up
of some of the neutron bombs because their 'detonation' could escalate an even
worse situation.

The main reason why Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns were allowed to "fail"
and AIG bailed out is because AIG held and still holds a significant paper  on
credit default swaps and other 'exotic' derivatives across a broader spectrum
 of clients.  It is the magnitude of the client base that motivated the
federal law makers to bail out AIG.   Because Lehman and Bear were  actually
clients of AIG their 'failure' was deemed less detrimental to the  economy as a
whole. If the entire book of AIG's credit default swaps was  worthless this
could
cause a China Syndrome meltdown far worse than the Great  Depression.

Now while I am no expert on real estate lending, having done it for a  little
less than a year in the nascence of my career I do know that the biggest
flaw was that certain mortgages securitized were ones that would have  been
termed 'non-conforming' (due to absence of income  verification, lower down
payments etc.) and that when they went into default the  mortgages that
replaced them
(within the pool secruitized) were no  better.   Jumbos and Alt A mortgages
were not as risky as sub-prime  they were nevertheless of  different risk class
and their EDF (expected  default frequency) was higher (but not as high as
sub-prime) than a  prime.

The whole domino theorem became evident when investors (the large IBs)  began
seeing that they had paper which they could not move and that meant less
mortgage money out there not only for the UNQUALIFIED buyers but for the
qualified ones. That also sent a seizing of credit throughout other markets and

placed doubt on securitizations - some of which were pools of sub-prime  debt
like
credit cards and auto loans.

I too oppose the bailout because it basically acknowledges shoddy
underwriting standards but does not address the issue of oversight.  This  is
where the
entire financial constituency of banks, brokerage firms,  accountants and
local and federal regulators all "dropped the ball" with  safeguarding
investments.

SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) was an outgrowth of Enron, and WorldCom and the
excesses of the executives who felt no need for control (or  accountability).
What
is needed is a re-regulation of the CMBS  industry and in fact all
securitization products.  We also need to see  where external auditors failed
in applying
the correct concepts of valuation and  marking-to-market the paper that was
readily being sold on the street.

The first step in risk management is identify the risk; second is quantify
and third is mitigate it.  Pity that something so simple was never applied  to
the CMBS markets.

Additionally I feel the current crisis has it roots back in 2000, when the
Fed Chairman Greenspan pushed the ubiquitous "panic button" because he
"thought"  he saw inflation.  His inflation fear is what tanked the markets
then and
today it is still affecting us .  Perhaps we need to give less power to the
Fed Chairman and make him responsible to someone or some legislative body; for
the life of me I do not know to whom the Fed Chairman is accountable.

Anyway that is my take on the subject...observed from the trenches.
Although I am a current 'refugee' from the financial industry I hope to be back

working soon and in a credit risk supervisory capacity challenging questionable

underwriting standards and being a gate keeper for invested funds.

- Dan Dobrjanskyj

In a message dated 9/26/2008 11:28:44 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

Last  year on FPTALK, a chat brewed up over the "will happen/can't happen"
housing  crash. I was the "will happen/ IS happening" view  ;)

We live in interesting times.

This has been a pet research area for me the last few years.

I am opposed to the current "bail out" for variety of reasons, even  whilst
conceding imperfect understanding of every nuance of "credit default  swaps"
and some other Wall Street Neutron Bombs (economically speaking).  I suspect
several levels of scam with the Wall Street for Wall Street  nature of the Bail
Out request, as in who is requesting it and why...  suspicious.  I am amazed
and gratified (though not yet reassured) that it  is Republicans, no doubt
bolstered by wave upon wave of anti-bailout clamor  from constituents, who are
quashing the Bailout... so far.

Previously I argued that overt lack of regulation and pseudo free market
(privatize gains, socialize losses. money for the "free market" ultimately
coming from the Fed, credit bubble from Ayn Randian Al Greenspan) would give
disaster, with the Housing Bubble (representing actually a gov't sponsored
credit
bubble) leading the way, but also with that Housing issue being symptom  as
much as cause.

I noted that housing prices could fall 50-80% in hottest areas (cali,
phoenix, florida, etc) and that even the "first to rise last to fall"
Manhattan
would plummet, though that last point has not happened... yet.  Latest data
cites
40% drop in parts of Cali.  I note that aside from Wall  Street issues, the
core forces (macro economics, not personal views) behind  the now at least
recognized by most folks housing crash... well, those core  forces are still
revving up. The Alt-A and Jumbo markets (far bigger than  "it's all contained"
Sub-Prime) have not yet even peaked on resets, never mind  finished resetting.
Foreclosures should continue to accelerate through  2010 perhaps, and
continuing
for years after.

The core issue on Housing (now blossoming due to Wall Street's  betting ON
Housing) is affordability, measured by couple  parameters.

1) Mortgage + fees (tax, hoa, etc) should be less than equivalent rent in  a
"stable" market'
2) Median House should cost in any area (some areas richer than others)  3x
Median Income. In California in which towns have median household income of
50k, housing median should be around 150k (there are some tweaks, but let us
start there). In many such towns Median blew by 500k. Go figure
3) Houses should cost about 120x the stable monthly rent (with some  spread
not huge spread for highly desirable areas)

There are more, but that's a start.

I have quoted below some of the chat from FPTALK last year. Yanked most  of
the names as I'm more interested in the content and in the "what's next"  than
in who said what when. I left my own quotes named (i'm the second one  down in
the quoted stuff below and more below that).

The verbiage from "economic leaders" the last year has paralleled (not  that
correlation equals future outcome) 1929.

I am curious to hear fellow penfolk views of housing, the economy, where
this is headed.

Anyway.... here is some of the chat from last year, triggered by a fellow
list member's move to Arizona.

The quotes below recede in time as one scrolls down. The first quoted  post
is a response to me.

regards

david

-----------------------

On Oct 14, 2007, at 3:05 AM, wrote:

All this palaver over whether a nice  pen-collecting/selling veteran should
join his kids in Tucson and go  semi-communal?  I thought I was reading posts
to the  Fountainpencollecting group for a while there.  My FPtalk list
sub-mailbox was aglow with more pro and con on what our Northwestern friend
should
do, than I have seen since Max found a new cache of pen nibs and ink  bottles
for sale. Be careful what you listen to as most of the real-estate  and
relocation advice given...well just consider the source.  And I am  only
getting
involved because I began to see some of the best econ-jibberish  Ive seen since
the word investment came up in the context of pen  purchases!

Now,  I am not smart enough nor did I study hard  enough to be a doctor, but
if I were I bet I could probably bone up on all  this in my spare time, and if
I could get a few  quiet night shifts,  well, I might find enough time to
study the matter pretty   thoroughly...or at least read Business Week I guess.
just wish I  could turn my 30 plus years in banking and finance into a
medical career!  (tongue firmly in cheek and elbow in ribs here) After all we
are
friends  right?

But since I got into this, I thought I might point a few  things out.

There are 2 variables you might want to consider, and the  variables make all
the difference:
1) The irrepressible ingenuity (read  profit incented creativity) of the free
enterprise system and its myriad of  independently simultaneously operating
buinesses and similarly  incented  business people
and
2) the historical business  economics truth is that if you can predict a
disaster (one that is not  unalterably controlled by forces of pure
mathematics,
physics or chemistry)  it will not occur.

Oh and there is a 3rd: An Economist is someone who  has no better idea about
what will happen in the future than you or I but he  has a degree to prove it.

Anyway...The unstoppable forces of number1  will almost always intervene to
determine the final outcome that takes place  in number 2 work.Each new problem
or financial difficulty only provides  opportunities to "sell" the new remedy
for the new problem.

But more  importantly, the financial world and the real estate finance world,
in spite  of recent overzealous mortgage brokers squeezing the wrong folks
into the  wrong loans, and the securitizing of real estate finding their way
(wrongly)  into hedge funds, is pretty well regulated and some of the behavior
attributed to the actions or lack there of that banks will or wont take as
predicted in Dr. i's scenario, simply should  not happen that  way.  And that
will tend to shorten the length of the crunch.  I  can not fault his logic as
applied to the facts listed but there are many  variables unaccounted for in
those facts.  There are significant rules  about what banks assets must be
"written off" and what may not be.  In  general a bank can not simply choose
when to
write something off or  not.  There is a very formal thing called "n
on-performing asset" which  can not be hidden.  Simply put it is a loan (loans
are bank
assets)  that is 90 days past due.  At that point the loan is placed on
non-accrual which means it is not to be counted as a bank asset nor is any
accrued
income coming from that asset to be counted in the banks income.  "Writing it
off" is not like doing you taxes and deciding to take a business  loss...it
is a mandatory thing that can not be delayed other than the loan  being brought
current.  One more thing...Reserves.  Every bank  must set aside reserves for
bad loans long before any real losses are on the  horizon.  These reserves
are created by a charge to income.  These  reserves are set aside in
preparation/anticipation for/for loan  failures.  These funds are already
"written off".
Thus banks do  not hurt themselves by taking the loss on a loan unless the
loss is greater  than the reserve already set aside.  REO (real estate owned -
the name  for properties foreclosed on by banks) will be fixed up and sold at a
market  price and only the difference between what was the loan loss and what
is the  funds recovered on sale will stay written off, all the rest will come
back  to the bank as "recovery" of reserves.  As a banker for the past 30+
years and bank management team member for the past 15 years, I can attest to
the day in day out (read constant) discussions, planning and design of new
products to satisfy current and predictable (or not) future possibilities so
as
to protect shareholder value.  Shareholder value is NOT to prop up  false
financial information in the very short run, especially at the risk of  certain
precipitous backfiring at many times the current loss in the not too  distant
future...not to mention the great possibility of running afoul of  many
punishing regulations (Sarbanes-Oxley, for example), which punish  faulty
financial
reporting that might tend to mask problems and to present a  rosier-than-normal
view of financial performance.

And don't be  alarmed that the long list of acronyms that stand for low-down,
low cost  loans was done without the full knowledge that if the borrower
failed to pay  that the property would be foreclosed on.  That WAS the plan
from
the  beginning of that type loan.  And do not confuse these loans as a class
with "sub-prime".  Sub-prime refers to the borrower and not the loan  category.
 There are plenty of prime borrowers and loans in the  categories mentioned.
Of course there are many sub-prime borrowers who  have taken advantage of
these easier-to-qualify for-loans, too.

This  adjustment process has already begun.  Among them are early conversions
 to reasonable fixed rate loans already being offered today to avert the
crunch Dr i mentions.  Some of the new terms are in my mind bad in  general but
good in some cases (40 year fixed rate mortgages, for example)  but they do
smooth out the differences between the monthly payments on the  old low monthly
cost loans that Dr i mentions will be coming due soon, and  the fixed rate
mortgages that at 40 years is more affordable as an  alternative.

Having said all that (and I apologize for it not being  as coherent as I
would like - that would take a book ), I do agree with Dr.  i that there is and
will likely be a continuing decline in some property  values, I do not believe
it will be as severe as to see prices falling 50%  nor long lasting as
2+years... By that time the ingenuity of the business  world will come to the
"rescue"
with their own innovative, profit driven  solutions to avoid the worst...as
it always has.

_isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:isaacson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx)  wrote:
I hear you.  :-)
I will take stab at predicting major decline over next few years,  especially
in inflation controlled (never mind international-currency  controlled in
fact of our plummeting Dollar, thanks Ben Bernanke),  buckerooties.
I will dig up links another day, but the Sub Prime debacle often cited  of
late (often called "contained" which might be true if contained means
contained
in an open system with no time limit LOL) is but tip of iceberg  just on the
front of loan resets. The zero-am, neg-am, zero-down,  cash-back,
heloced-to-death, alt-a and most of sub-prime is set to re-set  during the next
three
years. To degree that current drop in prices (note,  the median price for house
is
underestimating the fall. more on that next  paragraph) is due to the
"re-sets", well... the resetting is just warming  up and will peak (NOT end) in
couple years yet from now. Forclosures,  Short Sales (devastating to owner d/t
1099
hit) are waaay up, in some  parts of country more frequent than actual
regular sales.  FC's drive  down the comps. And, the process is slow and drawn
out
as bank-owned (REO)  properties are being held back and not "marked to market"
and sold at  actual demand prices, as it behooves Banks in short term to not
sell at  loss (keeps up numbers for stocks and bonuses) even if the long term
loss  on such properties will be greater than if hit taken now. This is the
horror of publicly owned companies- short term trumps long term goals. An
unsold house not marked to market *seems* less loss on paper... for now.  Many
of
these houses are rotting physically.
Median is bad indicator. In any credit crunch housing crunch, high end  tends
to hold out bit longer than entry level. Thus, currently, more  pricey houses
are trading at relatively greater rate than lower priced  houses, skewing up
the median while not reflecting the crash in total  units traded.  Better
indices are median  price-per-square foot  (down much greater than the NAR's
claims about median price per whole  house) . Better still the Case-Shiller
which tracks individual  houses and does number crunches relative to prior
sales.
My guess (this i'd have to research before making hard claim) is that  Tucson
Phoenix are down about 20% during last 16 months, the warm up (not  the end)
of the housing smoosh.
Of course what with being a poor dumb doctor, i keep open mind when  taking
stand on business issues ;-)  Always more to learn.
david

=