Cross Ball Points; Just a real short story

  • From: PoohcornerPens@xxxxxxx
  • To: pens@xxxxxxxx, fptalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 15:52:21 EST

My step-dad passed away in 1988, and my Mom has  been in the process of
packing her hoard of stuff to move to live with a dear  friend in Rialto CA,
moving
from the Victorville area.

Anyway, while I  was down in CA this last month due to my uncle's illness,
she gave me a hand  full of Cross ball points and mechanical pencils.  There
was
a variety of  models; black, chrome and gold plated; with and without the
clips.

3 of  the twist mechanisms were kaput, and although I just don't use ball
points, I  couldn't bear to just toss them or sell them off. I sent them to AT
Cross and  they arrived back home yesterday, all working fine. I had asked
Cross
to not  just replace the pens but to try and repair them if possible due to
the  sentimental value.

My step dad was a safe/alarm expert in So. Cal. for  40+ years; actually from
the end of WWII until he had to retire due to  disability in 1985. He carried
around his first and only aluminum "desk" with  his service tickets, and the
only pens he ever used were Cross ball points. He'd  use them until the
mechanisms would quit and then just toss them and buy another  one or two.
Unfortunately he didn't realize Cross would fix or repair them, or  else I'd
maybe have
some 50's models; most of these I have are from the  60's/70's.

Anyway, just a bit of reminiscing. I'm not sure what I'll do  with this dozen
or so pens/pencils; maybe I'll use them once in awhile. Not for  snails
though :-) That is a job for a fountain pen.

Best and  blessings
and GO COLTS!

Jim

Jim Sanders
Pen aficionado,  teacher, and doer of stuff
AKA  "poohcornerpens"
poohcornerpens@xxxxxxx
Snail address:
6350 SE Arcadia  Road
Shelton, WA 98584-8332

in the Subject field. The email that you then receive MUST be replied to per
instructions to complete the process.