Re: [foxboro] SAMA and Integrated Control Blocks...

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P \(IPS\)" <alex.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 18:46:09 -0500

Re: SAMA and the I/A Series

There is no automatic correlation between the SAMA notation and the I/A
Series control blocks.

That is, there is no I/A Series tool that can convert SAMA to one or
more control blocks or vice versa. This is a limitation that aggravates
the heck out of folks in the US power market.

Typically, a SAMA drawing is done manually to illustrate the behavior of
the control blocks in a CP, but there is nothing that indicates how the
CP blocks are used to implement the SAMA logic.

So, the statement that the drawing you are looking at represents a CALCA
block may well be true, but there is know way to know that for certain
other than to identify the block and work it out the hard way.

The new configuration tool - InFusion Engineering Environment - goes a
long, long way towards fixing that issue, but I doubt that you have it
in your plant. Currently, it is limited to V8.2 equipment and later.

Re: CALC block language
It is a stack oriented, reverse-polish notation. If you've ever used an
HP calculator you've worked with a similar system.

I don't know if Winston Jenks still has it up or not, but he had some
tools that would take equations and yield CALC block steps (and I think
vice versa). His company is Cape Software www.capesoftware.com. It is a
useful learning tool at the minimum.

Regards,
=20