Re: [foxboro] Response to Cassandra never make it....

  • From: Duc M Do <duc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 20:12:34 -0500

At 09:09 AM 3/14/06 +0100, Sascha Wildner wrote:

 >for me, "Reply-to-All" only gives a "To: foxboro@..." but no
 >Cc: to the original poster. This is different in all other
 >mailing lists I'm subscribed to. Not sure, but I guess this
 >has something to do with Reply-To being set. This header is
 >not set in other mailing lists (at least not those I'm
 >subscribed to).
 >
 >I'm using Thunderbird 1.0.2, don't know if the behaviour is
 >different for other mail clients.

Sascha,

You're right that explicitly setting the Reply-to: header causes
different behaviors in different mailers.

Thunderbird behaves as you noted, and I can replicate it myself. Eudora
(5.1 in my case) puts foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx in both To: and cc: if
Reply-to-All and, of course, in the To: line if just Reply. And Outlook
behaves as I described originally.

And I won't even attempt to see how the myriad web mailers handle the

An aside: People can and do debate religously about whether setting the
(http://www.google.com/search?q=munging+reply-to) but since this is a
discussion-style list, I thought an explicit Reply-to: is appropriate.

Duc