Re: [foxboro] Remove autostart of legacy servers?

  • From: Kevin FitzGerrell <fitzgerrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 09:52:35 +1200 (NZST)

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the response!

>  "While this configuration follows the guidelines in the AIM* manuals,
> system
> definition doesn't support this type of configuration."
>
> The above statement is correct, however you can create a 70 series
> station in the system configuration, define the station with IP and
> historian, but do not attach it to the node. This allows complete
> configuration of the historian instance to be used and seen by the
> utilities in system definition to configure the historian access. System
> Definition will complain because the station is not monitored and on the
> node, but all other features work as normal. The remote collector server
> could be configured in this method.

I did look at doing this but still had problems with the workstations and AWs
not pointing to the legacy server.  What I've done in sysdef is put AHIST6
(FoxHistory for Solaris) on P101AW value puhs01.  All system monitors have
puhs01 as their Historian Database Name.  After committing the workstations I've
gone through and adjusted /etc/histln, /etc/histnls and /etc/histlocs to contain
"puhs01", "puhs01", "puhs01  P101AW" on all the stations so the workstations can
find the legacy server.

>  "I may be completely off-base about the windu registry. One of the
> Foxboro
> engineers who worked on my CAR originally mentioned that that was where
> the
> legacy server startup arguments were saved."
>
> The above statement is also correct, but the windu only points to the
> files ipname_for_r_servers and the TZ_for_r_servers which are created
> when a start_server RFH <IP or IPNAME> is run manually and the TZ
> argument is used. IF TZ is not used as an argument, then disregard the
> TZ_for_r_servers. AIM historian should only attempt to start the servers
> if something is starting the AIM historian. /usr/fox/bin/fox_apps.dat
> would have an entry AIMHISTORIAN which is the go_AIMHISTORIAN script in
> UNIX and in Windows would be AIMSTAR. For remote collections (histsend
> and histreceive) only require AIMAPI. AIMHISTORIAN does not need to be
> running on any workstation other than the workstation that hosts the
> historian server. Only one ipchisti can be running against any historian
> instance. The device monitor controls this as this process has access to
> the OM.

That's interesting.  When I install the remote collector on the 4 AWs, the
install script puts both AIMAPI and AIMHISTORIAN scripts in.  Both are run.
When histstart is run by the AIMHISTORIAN script it starts fetchdog, and on
P101AW and P401AW it also starts ipchisti and the legacy servers.
ipname_for_r_servers exists on P101AW, but not on P401AW.

> Questons:
> When the P4AW01 is rebooted and is running the servers is the process
> ipchisti also running?

Yes.  I kill ipchisti and fetchdog after this workstation reboots.

> How is it that you have 7 segments connected without LAN interfaces?

I've got NCNIs in each segment connected to switches with a V7.1 blade
workstation.  This is a supported configuration.  Previously this system had 4
nodes, CLANs and NBE/FONBEs.

> Have you "dumped" the device monitor to determine where it thinks the
> historian server should be running?
>  /opt/fox/bin/tools/glof -p DEV_MONITOR - list hex strings with MAC
> address of device monitor hosting station
>  /opt/fox/bin/tools/fist <wokstation letterbug> - list MAC address for
> the defined workstation
> When you have determined the workstation running the device monitor:
>  /usr/fox/cs/dmrecon d - creates the current device monitor
> configuration in a .cfg file

I've dumped the device monitor but see no references at all to the historian.
I'm looking in cs_dm.current.  I also checked cs_devmon.cfg with bpatch and
don't see any historian reference there.

> Are there any workstations or peripherals failed?
> Have you searched the other workstations to see if others are running
> ipchisti?

No other stations are running ipchisti, although as noted all the 4 remote
collectors are running fetchdog (at least until I kill it on P401AW).

Where does fetchdog get it's list of processes to restart?

> The device monitor would only allow one ipchisti process instance to run
> against a single historian instance name. Perhaps there is a naming
> convention incorrect somewhere in regards to this particular workstation
> in relation the historian instance.
>
> In the historian configuration as defined for the remote collector,
> which workstation is defined to make the remote connection? There should
> be a configuration for both the local and remote machines.

Could be.  Where should I be looking at this configuration?

Regards,

Kevin FitzGerrell
Carter Holt Harvey, Ltd.
+64 27 460 9994