Re: [foxboro] Remote access

  • From: "Toecker, Michael" <mtoecker@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:52:04 -0500

Jack,

Fully agree with you on the licenses, you want the user licenses not the
device licenses Thom.

I have to disagree with you on the way Terminal Services would be
configured however.  Using the IA account for all the users would not be
a secure method of restricting access to these systems.  Conceivably
anyone could connect to your systems using the IA account and you would
never know it.  *Especially* since the default password to IA accounts
is a well known secret in the community.

Assuming this is to allow remote access from corporate or the internet,
I'd recommend configuring a unique user account for each person who
needs to access the system remotely, and require them to log in using
that account.  The user license allows any 5 concurrent users access to
the system, so unless you are leaving these sessions open it shouldn't
interfere with your needs.  Additionally, you should disable the IA
account from being used as a Terminal services capable account, which is
easily done in Windows configuration.

Am I missing anything everyone?  I can't for the life of me remember if
Foxboro requires the IA account, or if it will run under a similar
privileges account.

Sincerely,

Michael Toecker
Control Systems Security Designer