Re: [foxboro] PID SPT parameter connectable/setable

  • From: <Adam.Pemberton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 15:02:10 +1000

Does it help? Your answers always help Alex - but my confused mind is
rarely easy to untangle.

You saying SPT is an output is challenging, especially seeing it is
documented as an input. But I guess I can see what you mean because of
its LR behaviour.

In terms of your options, I would have assumed virtually all parameters
would be yes for options 1) and 3). Hence, aren't these somewhat
redundant? My assumption was that connectable refers to your option 4)
and settable refers to your option 2).

My particular reason for enquiring is I have written an application that
visualizes the I/A block interconnections based on the contents of an
SQL Server database. The database has a ParamTypes table containing all
the properties found in the documentation (and transferred to the
database through a very painful process of checking and double
checking).

The application finds all input and output connections for the current
block of interest using two SQL queries into the database. One of the
queries uses the connectable property of the ParamType to ignore
non-connectable parameters.

We use this application extensively to visualize our code and
discovering this inconsistency has rocked my faith in this application.
Do I have to go back and reassess each parameter's connectable status or
is this an isolated case of confusion/error?

Until now we have not noticed an inconsistency between what the
application is showing and what we find in ICC or the SELECT screen so I
assumed I had correctly interpreted the meaning of these two properties.

Apologises for the pedantic nature of this argument, but I'm hoping for
a deeper understanding of I/A from this thread.

Regards

Adam