Re: [foxboro] Open vs. proprietary technologies, was: Foxboro I/A OPC

  • From: Sascha Wildner <swildner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:36:39 +0100

Weiss, Andreas wrote:
> The number of attacks depend not only to the knowledge about the system.
> Otherwise would it mean that Linux systems has to be the number one of
> hacked systems because their source code is free available. Windows
> systems are on top of the list of hacked systems and their source code
> is not public free available. OK the windows API is free available.

Well,

having freely available source code doesn't necessarily increase
knowledge in people automatically. It's that "given enough eyeballs, all
bugs are shallow" theorem (read: myth).

How many people, for example, do _understand_ the TCP/IP stack well
enough to be really able to track down bugs in it? Not many, I'd bet.

And Linux also had (and still has, I presume) its share of
vulnerabilities which more than once were just because of extreme
dilletantic coding.

Cheers,

--
Sascha Wildner