Re: [foxboro] Open vs. proprietary technologies, was: Foxboro I/A OPC

  • From: "Weiss, Andreas" <Andreas.Weiss@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2006 05:48:25 -0600

> All connectivity has always pro's=20
> and con's which
> need to be carefully weighted against each other. Proprietary=20
> technologies
> may have some disadvantages to customers like e.g. single=20
> source for supply,
> but it's by the nature of the thing more unlikely that there=20
> exploits for
> bugs existing and the risk of being compromised by an attack=20
> is much lower,
> if not near zero.
>=20

Hi Marcel,

your arguments seems to be right but there are not.

The number of attacks depend not only to the knowledge about the system.
Otherwise would it mean that Linux systems has to be the number one of
hacked systems because their source code is free available. Windows
systems are on top of the list of hacked systems and their source code
is not public free available. OK the windows API is free available.

The number of attacks depend on the interest of people of doing that.

Why do people attacking other machines or systems?
- money
- "honor" driven by a competition between hackers
- frustrated employes
- ...

Andreas=20