Re: [foxboro] Matrikon OPC Server for Foxboro I/A

  • From: "William C Ricker" <wcricker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:44:07 -0400

Client System

OM Version
Solaris, AW51D
Nodebus
IA 6.2
5300 points @ 1.0 sec on each of 2 AWs, each feeding a PC
   drives primary ops interface in Wonderware Intouch
   for a power plant
reliable operation since installation, 11/2009.
options not applicable
OPC server and client coexist on each Wonderware Tagserver PC
single default delta systemwide, single scan rate systemwide
   delta is 0.001, yes, engineering units
   scan is 1.0 sec
redundancy (or fault tolerance) achieved because we have 2 AW/PC pairs
   and Wonderware InTouch sorts out which is alive/failed and client
   WW HMIs switch between tagservers.  Switchover is automatic.

NOTA

A single problem was found during implementation (which Matricon would
not correct) in that if the Client writes a value back to the Foxboro
system before initialization of OM lists is complete, the interface fails
and both ends of the link must be restarted (system reboots required).  We
avoid occurance by use of fancy apps programming in the Wonderware client
so no write can be issued before it's time.

This setup replaces a Wonderlink arrangement which had existed before.
Though Foxboro documents said the the product was supported, the customer
says that as a practical matter, there was no support available (nobody at
TAC knew the product).

Further, the NT systems which had been carrying the Wonderlink and Tagserver
functions were becoming unreliable and replacements we hard to find.
Hence, new, XP PCs and the OPC link were implemented. This is a temporary
measure (2 or 3 years) as they plan complete system replacement as money
allows.

The 5300 tags ; for each AIN, we read the PNT, Block and Alarm status words,

and Alarm Limits.  That means for 1 AIN we read 5 'tags'  Similar 'tag' sets
exist for controllers, AOUTs and so forth. The Foxboro system handles only
the Analog controls of the plant.  There are myriad Allen-Bradley PLCs for
discrete functions which also connect to the WW Tagservers, though not thru
the OPC interface.

We have done other Matricon OPC I/Fs, both on Solaris and Windows (none yet
on MESH), but I have no details.  We have also done a couple of Foxboro
OPCs,
but only to support reporting.

Regards,
William C Ricker