Re: [foxboro] Matrikon OPC Server for Foxboro I/A

  • From: "Johnson, Alex P (IOM)" <Alex.Johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2011 15:42:12 -0500

Re: OM Optimization
The simplest way to reduce CP OM loading caused by 3rd party packages, e.g., an
OPC based, is to use AIM*OPC DA Server on the same machine as AIM*Historian.

The two consumers of data will share the same OM connections. Thus, if your
AIM*Historian and OPC based Historian use the same tag, the CP will see a
single use.

If you have multiple AIM*Historians, you'd put AIM*OPC DA Server on each and
have the OPC based Historian access the tag from the "right" server.

If the 3rd party application uses FoxAPI, e.g., PI's fxbais data collector or
AspenTech's CIMIO for FoxAPI, this same sharing can be implemented by setting a
flag in the AIM*API configuration file.

Re: For all: I read somewhere that FoxView updates at 1 second by default (not
sure about display manager). Does this mean the FV opens an OM list in the
source CP instructing that CP to scan the list every second and send an update
if it changes by more than the change delta configured for the graphic?
Otherwise, no data is sent. Or, does it mean the CP sends the data every second
no matter what?

Data will be sent by the every second IF a change is noted. A heartbeat message
is sent every 2s if data updates do not occur due to "calm" data.

Re: For all: I have been assuming that the bottleneck in my system (23 nodes
connected to the mesh via ATSs) would be the old CPs as the nodebus is good for
1,600 pkts/s, the ATS for about 1000 pkts/s, and the MESH should rock. Am I
thinking correctly or not?

The ATS can handle any and all traffic on the Nodebus. It's rated capacity is
lower than its actual performance. It won't be a bottleneck.

Generally, communication is restrained by the CPs and DIs (FDGs).

There are five major limits in the control stations:
1) OM Connections - the number of stations to which a CP can sustain a
conversation
2) OM Lists - the number of "sets" of tags that a CP can manage. The maximum OM
list size is 255, but they vary a lot. The old I/A Series historian used lists
of 50 tags, FoxView uses lists of 75 tags, CP Peer-to-Peer communications use
lists of 150 tags, AIM*Historian is often configured to use lists of 255 tags.
3) OM Scanner Table entries - The number of entries is a multiple of 20 - think
columns - and the total table size (rows * columns) varies with the station
type, but 600 is common. Note that a "row" can be used only by one list so
space in the OM Scanner Table is likely to be wasted making the maximum more
than somewhat theoretical.
4) Free Memory in the Control Station - The OM lists require RAM to hold the
tag name and other data.
5) CPU capacity of the controller - When heavily loaded the CP can be slow to
respond and can miss certain types of messages.

Invensys Operations Management
10900 Equity Drive
Houston, TX 77041
+1 713 329 8472 (desk)